The APIO 2018 contest is a one-day Internet contest, with teams competing from within their home countries. The contest will be held on Saturday, May 12th, 2018, and will run for five hours from the starting time selected by each official contest site supervisor.
- Each delegation must run one or more official contest sites. All students must participate the contest at an official contest site.
- Each contest site starts the contest at the time of its own choice within the competition day. Different sites from within the same delegation may also start the contest at different time (e.g., one time for an eastern site and another time for a western site).
- Each contest site must be fully supervised in order to guarantee that the contest rules be observed by all the students.
- Each delegation may consist of up to 100 students. However, only the top six students will form the official team, according to the contest results.
- Students are eligible for this contest if and only if they are eligible for the IOI 2018.
The medal awards are uniquely determined by the following rules:
- The score necessary to achieve a gold medal is the largest score such that at least one twelfth of all official-team contestants receive a gold medal.
- The score necessary to achieve a silver medal is the largest score such that at least one fourth of all official-team contestants receive a silver or a gold medal.
- The score necessary to achieve a bronze medal is the smallest score such that at most one half of all official-team contestants receive a medal.